The Hustler


I'm not a pool shark. I'm not even a pool fan. But, I am a Newman fan, which makes this film good enough for me. Newman plays "Fast" Eddie Felson, a young, brash pool shark who needs a lot of sophistication and polishing if he is ever going to become the best. Enter Minnesota Fats (expertly played by Jackie Gleason) who is just the one to add some polish to the young hustler. A romantic relationship with Piper Laurie distracts Felson too much for my taste, but the George C. Scott character as Fats' manager makes up for the diversion. Scott is brilliant here…cocky and tough -- I think it is one of his best roles. And, it is one of Newman's best roles as well…he is perfectly able to balance on that bridge between arrogant jerk and engaging sweetheart. Watch this one for his and Scott's performances alone…and you also might want to pick up a pool cue!

No comments: