Dead Calm


I know I often begin these reviews saying I don't like something or someone but I took a chance and saw such-and-such movie anyway. Well, here I go again. I do not like Nicole Kidman, but I took a chance and watched this one after I'd heard quite a few positive things. And, I was pleasantly surprised. I always like Sam Neill so that part wasn't much of a stretch, but I usually try to give Kidman movies a wide birth. Ignore my rant about that, it is a good thriller...and even if you don't like Nicole, try it. Why? Well, it would have to be something pretty good to overlook the "Kidman" factor. And, it is. This is a methodical thriller that takes place almost entirely on two boats. Neill and Kidman are husband and wife who've just lost their only child. Neill, a naval officer, takes his wife on a long sailboat trip to try and ease her pain and guilt (the child died while she was driving) of losing her son. While at sea, Neill spots a boat that appears to be in trouble. One of its passengers is heading toward them in a dingy. They take him aboard and he tells the couple that all of the passengers he was sailing with have died. Neill, not believing this story, heads to the other boat...finding out that the people didn't just die...they were murdered. That's a big problem, especially since he left his wife on his boat alone...with the murderer! Neill gives an excellent performance and Billy Zane is particularly menacing as the psychotic murderer. And, Kidman is...OK, which is pretty high praise from me. Dead Calm does one of the best jobs ever of giving a realistic feeling of claustrophobia. Even though they are in the middle of the ocean, we continuously feel trapped...which is something that only heightens the suspense. A great thriller!

No comments: