Arsenic and Old Lace


When I first saw this one years ago, I thought it was too much of a farce...too over the top...too silly. But, re-watching it, I am able now to see it's fine details as one of America's great broad comedies. Cary Grant is at his wackiest here...as the nephew of two matronly ladies who have begun an unusual pastime...murdering lonely old men and having them buried in the basement. We've all seen (and loved) Grant do screwball...but this is pretty much as slapstick as comedy can get. He's physical and very expressive...perfect for this role as the befuddled nephew of these two crazy killers. Directed by Frank Capra, I think one of the reasons this one took a while to sink in is because it's almost TOO over the top. But, I guess as I'm getting older, I find the need for more and more comedy. And this one will sure satisfy that need!

No comments: